Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Spanish Rice

Tonight was the first time I made Spanish rice that turned out right. My childhood best friend was Yvette Fierro. We were stuck together like glue, and I spent camping trips and dinners with her. I have never been able to make Spanish rice or fideo or sopa like Mrs. Fierro or the other ladies who would bring food to parties and gatherings. I've tried the stuff in a box and the stuff in a can. Both are terrible. I've also tried recipes that turned out tasting okay, but didn't taste like what I remember as a child. This recipe on allrecipes.com was close. It wasn't too wet like some other recipes. The rice was fluffy. It was also one of the easiest recipes I've tried.

I also found this excellent recipe for enchilada sauce. I put a full 1 ounce block of semi-sweet chocolate in it, and it tasted like mole. It was spicy, but not too spicy for the boys. It calls for five full tablespoons of hot chili powder, and I have a huge bag of chili powder that a friend made and gave my mom. I did use Gebhardt refried beans from a can, but it tastes as good as homemade.

I used arm roast for the meat that I got from Alan at Pai Dom. We buy organic beef, chicken, lamb, and eggs from him. I marinated it in lime juice (from one lime), picante, a little soy sauce, a little olive oil, and a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar. It worked because I could pull the meat apart with my hands it was so tendy and juicy. I just roasted it in the oven on low. Baby ate a bunch of the meat before I began to make the enchiladas. He loved it. Tae ate everything but the beans (he's never liked beans). Jax ate more than he usually does. Baby loves beans and rice mixed together.

enchiladas

No comments: